Friday 30 August 2013

2Inspire Profile: Sharon Lowe founder of The Pure Emporia

"It is the essence of genius to make use of the simplest ideas"-Charles Peguy. This motivational quote is applicable to mumpreneur Sharon Lowe. Her inquisitive nature led her to develop a simple query about modern lifestyle choices into an award winning natural skin care Company: ThePureEmporia.


Please tell us what is a typical business day for you? 
I don’t really have a typical day. I have a 10month old boy so my day really is based around his needs. I have set goals for each day of the week i.e when to blog, tweet, process orders, write articles etc. My working day happens when he is either asleep, when he is happy playing, when he’s with his granny/daddy or at night when he has gone to bed.

What made you start the business and how did you get started?
A few years ago I was wondering why so many people that I knew were poorly. Over a bottle of wine my husband and I were discussing what we’re doing now that we didn’t do 30 years ago. One of the topics was skincare. Whilst having my evening shower I looked at my shower gel and couldn’t understand any of the ingredients. I Googled them and found some were irritating but some were even cancer causing. I did many months of research into ingredients. It is deemed safe for these ‘nasty’ ingredients as they are in such small quantities but a typical woman uses about 12 products per day; shower gel, shampoo, deodorant, make-up , hand wash etc. and what does that equate to over a life time? I realised that only 3% of a ‘natural’ products ingredients needed to be natural, the rest could be made up of anything. I didn’t like this and so set about making a website that sold only products that were ‘nasty’ chemical free. I created a database of ingredients and when I got to over 4,000 I decided to launch thepureemporia.com

What would you say has been your greatest accomplishment in the business world to date?
We have received 3 national business awards already which has been great but even better than this was when a mother phoned me to tell me that her 4 year old had stopped using steroids for his Eczema which he had been using since a baby after he started using our products.

 What has been your biggest challenge in business so far?
Combining business with a baby and coping when sleep deprived!

 What are your future plans for the business?
To grow, to launch our own range and to sell even more internationally.

 If you had to do it all over again, what would you do differently?
I would keep my purse strings tighter and I would seek help and advice on things like my website. Although I think this is a massive learning curve for any new business.

Why is it so important to inspire young women in particular to follow their dreams?
Everyone should be able to support themselves. The trend to want to be a wag is not helping anyone, particularly young girls. You can’t gain self esteem and confidence if you are only seen as someone’s other half. Girls can do it for themselves! People need to have their own money in order to have some ‘say’ in their lives.

What advice would you give to somebody who wants to start a business in your industry?
For any industry you need to do your research and learn all that you can about social media.

What or who inspires you in business and why?
Jacqueline Gold – she has risen in a mans world. And made something huge and popular out of something that was seen to be seedy.
What is your favourite inspirational quote?
“If you don’t dream it, you won’t do it” or something like that – basically allow yourself to dream of something great and go after it.
   
Contact Details
Sharon Lowe
01743 232266
www.thepureemporia.com

No comments:

Post a Comment