Friday 23 August 2013

2Inspire Profile: Chita Mumba - Mobile Hairdresser



Chita Mumba, is an inspiring example for young women who want to become self employed. While Job hunting, she decided to explore her talents, resulting in the formation of her hair business. Her story illustrates the importance of gaining inspiration from within.


Please tell us what is a typical business day for you? A typical business day involves me travelling to a customers house, either to braid, undo or style their hair. Usually takes between 1-6 hours depending on what style they have requested.


What made you start the business and how did you get started? I started the business when friends saw how well I braided my own hair and they wanted me to do theirs. And because at the time I was job hunting I thought why not do this in the mean time. We'll its turned out to be something I am taking seriously. Building a brand, organizing events and workshops round natural hair, beauty and lifestyle.


What would you say has been your greatest accomplishment in the business world to date?  Receiving a Start up loan from the government to help build my brand.


What has been your biggest challenge in business so far? Fear of failure, and struggles with lack of confidence which have sometimes hindered me from marketing effectively etc.


What are your future plans for the business?
Finally hold the events I have been planning, open a retail beauty supply store, become renowned for passionately serving my customers, and become a global brand.


If you had to do it all over again, what would you do differently?  Nothing at all, I have enjoyed the journey.

Why is it so important to inspire young women in particular to follow their dreams?
We hold up half the sky, have you heard of that term before? It implies that we too have a responsibility to make the world a better place and I believe it starts with dreaming then execution. Dreams also keep us alive and prevent from just merely existing. And when we dream we must dream, big, and when we do so as young women, we grow, develop and become amazing role models and that's what matters the most.

What advice would you give to somebody who wants to start a business in your industry? Work hard, find ways to learn more, make sure you have a unique selling point and get to know your market.


What or who inspires you in business and why?
Daren Dixon, he runs a branding and talent agency and he is doing big things. He talks about coming from a very hard place but never giving up in order to achieve his dreams. Plus he is down to earth, willing to share and he has lots of confidence. He is currently my business crush,lol. And many successful businesswomen I have met in the past few weeks, they are talented, bold and confident.


What is your favourite inspirational quote?
"You can paint your future on the canvas of your imagination"





Contact Details

Twitter:@LioraJasmine

Email: chita@liorajasmine.co.uk










No comments:

Post a Comment