Friday 20 September 2013

2Inspire Inspirational Woman in Business:Collette Registe - gold plating and customisation business

In today's interview, Collette Registe tells 2Inspire how she managed to overcome her fears and  start her gold plating business. She encourages other young women not to doubt themselves, but to go for it and start their businesses early. Read on and be inspired by Collette's story.
 


Please tell us what is a typical business day for you?
 I am lucky enough to have the flexibility to run my business around my family – that’s the beauty of being your own boss. Some days will be focused on customising products such as 24ct gold plated high heels or Swarovski embellished Converse trainers, other days I will be meeting new customers and attending networking events to build new relationships. Every day is so different which is what I love the most about having my own business.
What made you start the business and how did you get started? 
I’ve always been a very creative person and wanted to have a job where I could be inventive and try out new things. When I saw Laban Roomes from Goldgenie pitch his idea on BBCs’ Dragon’s Den for his gold plating and customisation company, I suddenly had lots of different ideas for products and felt really inspired. I ended up buying one of Goldgenie’s ‘Business Opportunities’ which has allowed me to set up my own gold plating and customisation company and start designing my very own unique product range. 

What would you say has been your greatest accomplishment in the business world to date? I think receiving my very first order as it was a real achievement and boost of confidence for me. I was so worried about setting up my own business and getting the orders in, so I was over the moon, and relieved, to receive my first order.
 What has been your biggest challenge in business so far?
Without any formal qualifications, setting up my own business was overwhelming at times. Many people have degrees or higher levels of education to draw upon however I was lucky enough to have Laban from Goldgenie as a mentor who has helped me with all the processes of running a business, such as finances and accounts.
     
What are your future plans for the business?
I would love to grow the business and continue to develop my product range . I have lots of ideas, but with so many orders to meet, I often struggle to find the time to develop new ideas. I’d like to be in a position where I can employ a member of staff, and one day even a team, so that I can really grow the business. 

If you had to do it all over again, what would you do differently?
I would have done it sooner! Starting up your own business is never going to be easy, but I wish I had had the faith in myself and taken that leap of faith sooner.


Why is it so important to inspire young women in particular to follow their dreams? I think so many young women probably see the idea of starting their own business as daunting and, like me, probably didn’t know where to start. I encourage others to follow their dream and start their own business as so many people out there just need that little bit of encouragement. I attend a lot of networking events, women in business seminars and have even set up my own Women Empowerment Facebook page to inspire other women, particularly young mums who are out of work. Of course you need drive and ambition to set up your own business, but I think if someone like me, with no qualifications, can do it – anyone can!

What advice would you give to somebody who wants to start a business in your industry?
 Just go for it – but you need to be prepared to work hard and realise that success isn’t going to be handed to you on a plate.
What or who inspires you in business and why?
Karen Brady. She is a very strong and successful business woman and I think women can learn a lot from her.
What is your favourite inspirational quote?
Never give up on a dream just because of the time it will take to accomplish it. The time will pass anyway.
Contact Details
www.coatofgold.com
07956 225 807

2 comments:

  1. There are many ways we can run or businesses. I went for the most effective one, introducing a new erp system, microsoft dynamics 365 to our company! I'm way too excited for the changes to come!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Have you already seen the latest address verification tool. If not, be sure to see this page.

    ReplyDelete