Friday 13 September 2013

2Inspire Profile: Janet Walker - Internet marketing entrepreneur

Mumpreneur Janet Walker originally had a business designing and producing greeting cards. This led her into internet marketing a field in which she has now turned into  a business venture. Her story shows us to take whatever opportunities come your way.

 Please tell us what is a typical business day for you?

A typical business day for me is to getting up early, getting the baby and my 9 yr old ready for school. As I work from home which is awesome I hover between looking after the little one and my online businesses. This consists of checking, answering emails and social media communicates. Doing tasks from my to do goal lists, which I prepare weeks or days in advance. After my son comes home, I am just mom and not business mom. I don’t return to business mom until the children are asleep. It’s important for me to give my family my full attention when I am not in business mom mode. This also allows me to think about the productively I have achieved for my business with a calm clear mind.

 What made you start the business and how did you get started?

The reason I started Best2keepitsimple.com was because I was helping other creative business owners via sharing my business experiences and journey from my 1st and other businesses. I started my 1st online business 5 years ago designing, and producing greeting cards. My journey I took for that business lead me to venture into internet marketing and I learned a lot, which is not usually learnt via the creative handmade business route. By stepping out the box of growing my businesses a different way it allowed me to gain valuable knowledge which has allowed me to help other creative businesses grow or get started.

 What would you say has been your greatest accomplishment in the business world to date?

Being able to dream and actually make that dream real. I started small and realised that I can make them happen. Believing in the ideas that come to me and acting upon them.

  What has been your biggest challenge in business so far?

Over thinking situations that don’t need it, this is one reason I named my blog Best2KeepitSimple.com, by saying the name it keeps me ground. Having a family and a business does cloud the mind sometimes and tends to make you over think things. Being able to refocus and see what needs to be done to get results is important for me to see progression in my business, which in turn enhances my family life.

 what are your future plans for the business?

Well I don’t want to give too much away because life happens and it could all change. However what I will say is looking after my creative female community is something I want to expand on. I want to create a real sense of trust and support amongst my community so they know that they have support at every hurdle in business and in life. I have created my businesses alone, so I know it can be hard and at times overwhelming. Being able to have a close connection with people you can reply-on is important to me. So watch this space.

If you had to do it all over again, what would you do differently?

Absolutely nothing, I truly believe things happen for a reason. I know that what I have been through in life and business has been preparing me for this part of my life and business journey now.

 Why is it so important to inspire young women in particular to follow their dreams?

 Inspiring young women is important because they are strong and powerful with awesome gifted talents and skills. These up and rising women can change the world with their ideas and concepts, if nurture and self belief in oneself is instilled in them at early age.

 What advice would you give to somebody who wants to start a business in your industry?

 The advice I would share for starting a business in any industry is to have a passion for it. If it does not make you happy you’re in the wrong industry. Find a group of people who you can talk to about your business ideas, don’t be afraid to look for support from other like minded people. They will be your support and your strength when needed but most of all they will elevate you to new levels because they think along the same lines as you. Last but no means least, believing in yourself, this is the hardest part but once you do then you have taken great steps to achieve what you set out to do.

 What or who inspires you in business and why?

 Those who have succeeded through adversary inspire me. Those who have made a difference in other peoples life, thus changing their own inspire me. Those who have come from humble beginnings inspire me. To name names I  call upon Oprah, Will Smith, Tyler Perry, Maya Angelou,  Brendon Burchard, my late mother just to name a few.

 What is your favourite inspirational quote?

I have so many so I will choose one I like this week

“Success doesn’t come to you; you go to it.” ~ Marva Collins
Contact
@best2KiS

No comments:

Post a Comment