Tuesday 19 March 2013

2Inspire Business Profile: Kizmet Jewellery

Kizmet Jewellery is a bespoke jewellery and design service which is the brainchild of Ugandan-Irish born and a Holts Academy trained designer Naki Kaddu. Kizmet Jewellery was launched in June 2008 as a statement jewellery label strongly influenced by the designers love for semi- precious stones and bespoke design opportunities.

Each piece is designed and compiled by Naki and always made in limited editions, using the techniques developed over the years.

Below is a business profile on the business owner who was also an exhibitor at the 2inspire Ladies Day March 2013:



1/ Please tell us what is a typical business day for you?

Working at my workbench for a commissioned piece or building stock for my website. Followed by updating my web content and follow up emails with potential clients and booking events.


 2/ What made you start the business and what steps did you take to start operating as a business?

I went through a tough break up followed by a tragic loss, during that time my eldest sister bought me a book on beading and suggested I did something creative to help keep my mind busy and help heal myself through things. That was almost 5 years ago. I went to hobby craft and taught myself how to bead and made some earrings. Within 3 years I had launched a brand called Kizmet Jewellery and was working on stalls and events and through word of mouth. I invested in a Jewellery and Silversmithing and Manufacturing Diploma for 1 year (2011- 2012) with Holts Academy. Once I completed that I organised my first professional gallery showcase at Craft Central, (where I am a member) and had a selling exhibition for 1 week. That was September 2012. It was an amazing experience and validated that I was on the right track and progressing as an emerging designer.

I just launched an online shop (6th February 2012) where my work and products (all limited and exclusive) are available to buy online!! www.kizmet-designer-jewelry.com



3/ What would you say has been your greatest accomplishment in the business world to date?

My first professional gallery showcase – it was probably one of the most stressful events to pull together over 3 months, but, one of the most rewarding in so many ways! It still makes me proud!


4/ What has been your biggest challenge in business so far?

My biggest challenge is being confident in knowing and believing the value of my product and the worth. Price points are always a tricky subject!


5/What are your future plans for the business?

I would like to continue to grow my online presence. Source and locate a small studio where I can work away from my spare room and consult with clients. Work on building relationships with stockists and wholesalers interested in a custom made, exclusive design service.


6/If you had to do it all over again, what would you do differently?

I have a day job in addition to my jewellery business… I need to start dedicating all this positive energy towards Kizmet and less towards my consulting business. (Yes I have two businesses!)


 7/ What’s the best compliment you could receive in business?

 Seeing people wearing my pieces with pride and joy!  

8/ What advice would you give to somebody who wants to start a business in your industry?

Be patient; build experience and technical skills to gain respect and recognition. Know where you want to go with it and build on your strengths. It’s a competitive industry, one built around trust and respect, but it’s a small one and your reputation within it, is key.  But, love the work you do no matter what.


9/What or who inspires you in business and why?

I am particularly inspired by Greek Mythology and universal / galactic influences whether that be through the zodiacs, folk tales or poems. Anything that touches the soul and allows us to see our existence with the universe or nature inspires me. Hence butterflies, twin moons, The Muses, my heritage – it’s all connected in one way or another and all that is reflected in all my pieces.

In terms of other designers, I have always been inspired by Elisha Francis a young designer in the London circuit. She works hard, gives back and has an amazing future ahead of her.  I am also a particular fan of Simon Harrison Ltd. I love his Frog Prince collection!


10/What is your favourite inspirational quote?

“Be the change that you wish to see in the world” – Mahatma Ghandi


 Contact Information:

No comments:

Post a Comment