Wednesday 23 September 2015

2Inspire Network Inspirational Woman: Lauren Moss, Founder of Vivimoss

Founder and designer Lauren Moss has turned her love for health and fitness into a growing business. In October 2015 her company vivimoss is supporting Breast Cancer Awareness Month by donating 20% from the sale of their ladies hot pink shorts and tees. Read about Lauren and her journey to business success in our interview feature with her.

Please tell us what is a typical business day for you?
I typically start my day at around 7.45am, when I check my emails, and have a quick coffee before taking my dog, Chewie, for a play in the park. There-after each day is different. I tend to try and split my day between social media, sales calls, manufacturer research and keeping on top of the financial side of everything. I work from home, and vivimoss is a one man band at the moment, so theres a lot to keep on top of! Im a great believer in work/life balance, so I always make sure I make time for a trip to the gym when required, and try to switch off (as much as possible) each evening!

What made you start the business and how did you get started?
I had been working in finance in Edinburgh for close to 10 years, and although I loved my colleagues and clients, I just did not find the job fulfilling. At the same time, I was rediscovering my love for health and fitness, but could not find the type of clothing that I wanted to train in. In a moment of madness, I decided to take the leap and try to create my own. Since then I havent looked back!
I fortunately have a very supportive, patient partner who has helped my immensely whilst Ive been setting up the business!

What would you say has been your greatest accomplishment in the business world to date?
I think that simply launching the range was a huge accomplishment for me, it was a long process and a bit of a leap of faith!

What has been your biggest challenge in business so far?

Moving into a totally new industry was a big challenge, it was a terrifying leap. I have to say though, that it has been so worthwhile. It is such a supportive, friendly industry - the majority of people want to see you succeed and are happy to offer advice and support.



What are your future plans for the business?

Its still very early days for vivimoss, but what I would really like to do, is move the production to somewhere in Europe. When I began searching for suppliers, Taiwan was at the forefront of technical sportswear fabrics so it was a no brainer! Ive recently found a potential supplier in Portugal that I hope might be suitable, so watch this space!


If you had to do it all over again, what would you do differently?

Thats a tough one - obviously Ive made a lot of mistakes, but if I hadnt made them, I would never have had that experience - its always easy with hindsight!

When I first launched my site, I was really keen to use regular people for models, in regular locations. Im a keen supporter of promoting body confidence, and thought that it would be a great way to promote the clothing. Im not sure that the industry is quite ready for this just yet though, and in the future will probably have to move towards using fitness models!


Why is it so important to inspire young women in particular to follow their dreams?

Life is simply more fulfilling if you are doing something that you are passionate about. Its easy to settle into a job that is just ok and that pays the bills, and its tough to break away from that. There are opportunities out there though that will help you follow those dreams - and I think young women need to be made more aware of them.


What advice would you give to somebody who wants to start a business in your industry?

Do your research! Possibly my way of entering the industry (with absolutely no experience) was not the most sensible! There are lots of businesses in the industry that welcome interns, and that would be a great way to start. If thats not possible, make sure you talk to as many business owners as you possibly can. Other business owners are a great source of information, and you can benefit hugely by learning from their mistakes!!


What or who inspires you in business and why?

I have met a few owners of very successful businesses of late. And I was totally blown away by their generosity of both their time and their advice, despite them clearly being ridiculously busy. Id like to be one of those people!


What is your favourite inspirational quote?
Oooh, thats a tough one. This would change regularly depending on my mood, but my current favourite would be:

The best advice Ive ever received is, no one else knows what theyre doing either Ricky Gervais

For more product information please visit www.vivimoss.co.uk.

No comments:

Post a Comment