Friday 6 September 2013

2Inspire profile: Carlie Parkinson, founder of Covet Girl publishing

Carlie Parkinson is the author of Covet Girl, a platform which showcases London's top female entrepreneurs and their businesses.


Please tell us what is a typical business day for you?
 A typical day for me always begins with emails, but I'm sure most can sympathize with that. I then get to visit inspiring entrepreneurs, hear their stores and find out more about their businesses.

What made you start the business and how did you get started?
The project is based on one that I undertook while I lived in Toronto, Canada. I loved exploring the city and meeting amazing entrepreneurs. I was inspired to bring the project to London upon my return last year. To get started I did a lot of research and also used social media including Twitter and LinkedIn to find and connect with the entrepreneurs.
What would you say has been your greatest accomplishment in the business world to date?
Discovering my niche. I have decided that my best skill is bringing existing ideas to new markets. Although it's not just one accomplishment, it is great to know what best suites me when looking for new business ideas.
What has been your biggest challenge in business so far?
My biggest challenge has always been not taking rejection personally. This is a challenge that many face and especially when it is your own business it is very difficult to feel like you're being personally attacked when someone doesn't like your idea.
What are your future plans for the business?
We are currently looking for partners to write the books for Sydney, Melbourne, Perth, Hong Kong and any other city with a wealth of female entrepreneurs. 

If you had to do it all over again, what would you do differently?
Nothing. Every mistake I made was a lesson I had to learn.
Why is it so important to inspire young women in particular to follow their dreams?
It is important to show young women what they are capable of. Especially in a tough economy, the best way to have a job that you truly love is to create it. I find female entrepreneurs add a lot to the community and everything they do is from the heart. It is important to encourage and support these women so they will thrive and support our communities.

What advice would you give to somebody who wants to start a business in your industry?
The publishing industry is very accessible. If someone is looking to write a book, rather than trying to find a publisher do it yourself. There are endless resources for self-publishing.
What or who inspires you in business and why?
I have been fortunate to meet so many women that inspire me. Each has overcome challenges and found a niche that they have been successful in. When I was young, I was inspired by Martha Stewart. Although she had her struggles in the recent years, before that she did an amazing job of marketing herself and made herself an expert.
What is your favourite inspirational quote?
This is from one of the entrepreneurs in my book. "Luck is preparation meets opportunity. If you are prepared and take the opportunities that come your way, your luck will be made." Marcelle Symons of D&Me and One Vintage.
Contact Details

No comments:

Post a Comment