Saturday 8 March 2014

2Inspire Network International Women's Day Profile: Sherica Spence, Co-Founder of Skye Alexandra House



In this special edition of the 2Inspire Network business profile we meet, Sherica Spence, the co-founder of Skye Alexandra house. Skye Alexandra House is a semi independent living service for vulnerable young women aged 16-18, which also provides services on personal development, personal well being, one to one support, life skills and help preparing for further work and education. Read about Sherica's vision for empowerment and motivation for young women in this fantastic profile piece.
Please tell us what is a typical business day for you?
Typical day for me is sending and replying to emails, seeking sponsors and partnerships, delivering workshops in secondary schools to young women. I LIVE on my phone lol!

What made you start the business and how did you get started? I started this business because I saw a need to help and empower young women; I noticed that there weren’t many services out there available and dedicated to the well being and personal development of the young women today.
I got started by first researching the businesses in the area in the borough in which I live, looking at the services in which they offer and provided etc., through this I noticed that none of them had the services in which I was looking to provided so I got on the task of securing the house in which I was going to start my business in. 

What would you say has been your greatest accomplishment in the business world to date? My greatest accomplishment to date is the amazing business partner which I have joined forces with, she shares the same vision to empower change in women and compliments me in many ways being that there are things I am totally pants with that she is amazing and vice verse. There is a great balance and respect for the vision, which I feel is very important in any business partnership.

What has been your biggest challenge in business so far?
Biggest challenge by far is the reconstruction of the house. There is quite a bit of work that needs to be done on it so we have been very busy organising fundraisers etc in order to raise funds to get the house ready for the summer.

What are your future plans for the business?
Future plans will be to have at least 2 Skye Alexandra House in each borough than who knows world domination!


If you had to do it all over again, what would you do differently?
Gosh in all honest there is nothing I would do differently as i feel every hurdle and blockage in which I have come across since starting has all been to strengthen my faith, walk and journey in making sure this vision comes to light. Each of these things just causes you to take a time to stop breath and re-evaluate situations that may occur.

Why is it so important to inspire young women in particular to follow their dreams?
We are living in a world today where women are made to look like sexual beings. I am trying to break this mould by showing these women that there is more to being a woman than being a sexual fantasy to someone. I’m trying to show them that whatever you dream of doing you can go out there and achieve it. That there is no limitation, the only thing that is stopping you is yourself, this is something I took long to realise. I had the potential and the fire in me burning to go but I use to hold pity parties on my past. I’m trying to show young women that yes things happening in your life but do not allow it to define who you are as a person. Use it a seed to grow stronger as a person and fight harder.

What advice would you give to somebody who wants to start a business in your industry?
RESEARCH RESEARCH RESEARCH, a good heart and the passion to see positive change in others.

What or who inspires you in business and why?
Wow there is so many people who inspire me hard to pick just one. So I’m going to go with the person to date which is Steve Chalke he is the founder of the Oasis Trust he opened his first hostel for vulnerable women in Peckham, as this field that I am in it was inspiring to see how much he has achieved and the difference in which he has made in people’s lives all over the UK

What is your favourite inspirational quote?I’ve missed more than 9000 shots in my career. I’ve lost almost 300 games. 26 times I’ve been trusted to take the game winning shot and missed. I’ve failed over and over and over again in my life. And that is why I succeed.” –Michael Jordan





Contact Details
Email: s.spence@live.co.uk
Number: 07944 480 782
Twitter: skyealexandra86


No comments:

Post a Comment