Friday 25 October 2013

2Inspire Profile: Thrashion Recycled Skateboard Jewellery ®



In this inspirational interview profile we meet the founder of Thrashion, Nat Rigby , a  forward-thinking jewellery line designer for skateboarding enthusiasts.

Please tell us what is a typical business day for you?
My day starts by preparing the workshop, sorting through my broken boards and drawing out designs then I get cracking on the machines. I have a really good system to make the most of my day and to get the most products out of my time. The evenings are generally my time for working so I catch up on emails and social media throughout the day when I get time.

What made you start the business and how did you get started?
The idea for Thrashion Recycled Skateboard Jewellery ® came to me when I fell over a pile of mine and my husbands old skateboards which we were hoarding in our attic. I was already making upcycled jewellery and it just seemed the perfect progression. I have been making since 2007 but the business really took off in 2009 when I started my online shop. I've never looked back.

What would you say has been your greatest accomplishment in the business world to date?
This has to be getting recognized in the UK skateboarding industry as I felt it took a long time to get noticed and to find my demographic. Since I’ve made the initial contact I’ve met some amazing and really inspiring people who have been really supportive of my business. I’ve also got to meet and converse with some of my idols and people who I really respect in the industry.

What has been your biggest challenge in business so far?
I feel my biggest challenge is the crossover into the jewellery market. I find it really hard to get recognized as a jewellery maker and to get my jewellery in front of that audience. I’ve started working with other businesses on different projects which has allowed me to be more creative with my products which I hope will help this.

What are your future plans for the business?
I see the business turning into more of a lifestyle brand with a positive eco friendly message.


If you had to do it all over again, what would you do differently?
I wouldn’t do a thing differently! I’ve learnt so much and it has been a complete learning curve. Any mistakes I’ve made have only led the business on a more stable path.

Why is it so important to inspire young women in particular to follow their dreams?
Unfortunately it’s still hard for women to be recognized in business even though there are so many successful business women out there. I have found it quite hard being a woman in the skateboarding industry as there are still some old tired opinions circulating (Nyjah Houston’s comments about women skateboarding being the most recent) I feel that gender is an outmoded form of bias and everyone should be on equal footing and especially in this economic climate we should be encouraging the entrepreneurs of the future.

What advice would you give to somebody who wants to start a business in your industry?
Be true to who you are! I think if you’re honest and direct then you will command more respect. My business is a rootsy business with a lot of goodwill towards other businesses within the skateboarding industry but I would prefer to work with others who are about supporting the scene not just making money from it. Most of us are in it for the love of skateboarding not what we can make from it and I think that comes across quite strongly in our ethos.

What or who inspires you in business and why?
I am a visual person who is inspired by imagery,  I find my greatest inspiration comes from the actual skateboards I work with because of the graphics and innovation of the designs. I am very inspired by other brands and definitely have my favourites Heroin and Kill City being my top two. I also have a lot of respect for smaller companies like Breakneck skateboards who are so supportive of the industry.

What is your favourite inspirational quote?
From Chaos… comes order

Contact Details
http://www.thrashion.com
http://twitter.com/_thrashion
http://www.facebook.com/thrashion.ltd
http://instagram.com/thrashion
  

No comments:

Post a Comment